Pages

Thursday 6 February 2014

Childish Goals Stay

I was at a friend's 21st and she had neatly printed out some of her favorite moments, songs, entries, articles, and anything that could be recorded on hard board paper, that was meant to serve as a place-mat and evidence of the  invitation.

The plate that I chose had a poem on it, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading, a drawing she made as a toddler and an entry which really caught my attention. I would've missed it if I was not paying attention. It was a small section from her homework book from grade 3. It was a small list of the goals she had set:
    1. Listen to my teacher.
    2. To be a great golfer.
    3. I will behave.
    4. To do my chores.
    5. To keep quite in class.

Growing up, she achieved many of these goals. The person she then wanted to be is indeed the one she is today (Except for hitting tiny balls into tiny holes in the ground.) She is a hard working lady, a good friend, a listener and comforter to the youth at her church. And needless to say she only gives people half a handful of stories of: that day when she did that... She is now the student, young adult, daughter, and friend, who listens to her teachers, behaves, does her chores, and does not play golf.

Just a few weeks ago I was thinking about how much I used to talk, every moment, and how it used to be so easy for me to be “that guy” who starts the conversation and rescues people from that awkward silence ―cause someone will always say how awkward the awkward silence is and then makes it awkward. It didn't bother me all that much until I realized how far gone I was. While searching for the turning-point I remembered a goal I had made when I was in the 11th grade. I even wrote it down. It was part of a challenge from my bible club; we had to do something for another person. So that day I vowed to keep quite long enough for everyone in the group to have their say.
So that’s what I did. I held my tongue, especially in the group, so that everyone could have a chance to voice their opinion. But as time went on I forgot about the vow. It was so deeply embedded in me that I was giving people a chance to speak, not out of service, but out of insecurities. A single event, filled with goals and promises that broke and built character.

Sadly, I can’t say the same for the goals I have set since then, they either did not work out or weren't worth the energy. The goals I have set since then have been filled with things I must obtain, like getting A's, to lose weight, and to be a great golfer. So I am setting a new goal; to not set goals like an adult. Not to do things anymore, but to be and grow. To strengthen my character, and to rid myself of bad habits… not forgetting to serve and love.

New goals:
1. Don't save for Paris but save.
2. Don't read the whole collection of Jane Austen but read.
3. Don't love more but worship my Creator.
4. Don't hike Robberg but climb the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment